FMP Hanoi Gynecology & Obstetrics Department provides for a wide range of gynecological needs for women from adolescence through to and beyond menopause. FMP Hanoi offers professional and individualized care, combined with diagnostics services when needed.
FMP gynecological care starts with routine preventive care, including Pap smears, breast exams, mammography, contraceptive counseling and other gynecologic screenings.
Pap smear test is a screening procedure for cervical cancer. It tests for the presence of precancerous or cancerous cells on the cervix (the opening of the uterus). During the procedure, cells from your cervix are gently scraped away and then examined for abnormal growth.
Pap smear is a screening procedure for cervical cancer. It tests for the presence of precancerous or cancerous cells on the cervix (the opening of the uterus). During the procedure, cells from your cervix are gently scraped away and then examined for abnormal growth.
Preparing for a Pap Smear check up – Important reminders
How To Prepare
Before a Pap test:
- Try to schedule the test when you are not having your period since blood can interfere with the results of the test. If your bleeding is light, you may still be able to have a Pap test.
- Do not use douches, tampons, vaginal medicines, sprays, or powders for at least 24 hours before having a Pap test.
Some doctors recommend avoiding sex for 24 hours before a Pap test.
At the beginning of your appointment, tell your doctor:
- If you are or might be pregnant.
- If you have any reproductive or urinary tract symptoms such as itching, redness, sores, swelling, or an unusual odor or increased vaginal discharge.
- If you have been performing regular vaginal self-exams, discuss any changes you have noticed with your doctor.
- If you are using a birth control method.
- If this is your first Pap test.
- When was the first day of your last menstrual period and how long your period lasted.